Never. Stop. Loving.

Surrounded by political tensions and division among Christians, I find that our main goal in life is unchanged: Love God, Love People. Whatever God is doing in your life and wherever he is leading, the individual circumstances do not change the driving force in the life of the Christian. If we aren't pouring our lives out for God and others, what are we doing? What are you doing in life that really matters? Francis Chan has said that “Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.” 

It is easy for me to get caught in a Christian bubble. Church becomes a social club and I can cease to interact with the world around me.

One of the principal reasons I've taken a job at Starbucks is that even while Maggie and I follow the leading of the Spirit to go to Costa Rica, we still have the ultimate call of the Christian to love people. My job allows me to love hurting people in a purposeful way that opens doors for talking about Jesus. And frankly, it's exhausting. In fact, when my JW coworker tried to evangelize to me the other day I felt a huge wash of relief because I could share Christ by answering her questions rather than thinking of my own to ask. Sharing Christ and loving others is draining and lonely

I'm convinced that this is why we really need church. If we were all out sharing Christ and making disciples, we would really need each other. Sadly, most of us just live in a way where we don't need each other in this way. We need each other for social reasons (who else doesn't swear?), and we pray for our sick relatives. Sure. We enjoy learning about the Bible, and the music sounds good. Sure. And if you've ever been to a good church potluck, those casseroles are to die for! But do we need eachother? I do. I'm worn--drained from pouring myself out for others, as well as in support raising for Costa Rica. I need to surround myself with other believers, not because I don't like the sound of swearing or because nobody else agrees with me, but because I can't do this alone. 

Thankfully I'm down to part time now, but I still love pouring into my fellow barristas. I hope and pray that you too are gentle and forthcoming about the joy and peace that Christ brings to your life. Something many lack.

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
(Hebrews 10:23-25 ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me llamo go to the bathroom

Giving Thanks

Pura Vida - We have arrived!