Teachable Moments

**Disclaimer: This ins't just a teachable moment for moms!
Being a stay at home mom, every opportunity is a teachable moment. "This cup is the biggest"; "Which one is green?" Recently we had a several teachable moment: "Gemo isn't sleeping anymore; she's now with Jesus." Which Patrick quickly responded, "I want to see Jesus." "Me too," I said.

God uses Patrick for my teachable moments. We've been struggling with bedtime and going back to bed in the middle of the night. A few nights ago, Patrick woke up at 3am, and I was stuck between a rock and a hard place: let him scream it out and wake up everyone or meet his every demand. After struggling for an hour and a half, I coped out and summoned Jonathan. I was too angry and tired to handle the situation sensibly.

Returning to bed, I lifted the situation before the Lord and voiced my frustrations with my disobedient, irrational boy. Then parts of 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 came to mind:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, 
it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, 
it is not easily angered
it keeps no record of wrongs. 
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."


Love is not easy! It is something that we have to work on, something that the Spirit enables us to attempt to do. We can't love perfectly, but God sure does! I know I've thrown a ridiculous amount of temper tantrums at Him in my 26 years. I remember kicking and screaming about applying to Moody, where I eventually met my husband and gained a better understanding of the Bible. I've voiced my frustrations in not understanding the long "car ride" to Costa Rica. I've even complained about the "meal" he's put before me (e.g. blessings, provisions). YET, His love endures all things!
The only way I can being to love this way with through the help of the Lord. I can't be a good mommy alone! I must continue to cling to Him, to constantly ask for wisdom  and pray for Patrick and the other relationships He has before me. He can help me love this way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me llamo go to the bathroom

Giving Thanks

Pura Vida - We have arrived!