In The Mind of Third Culture Kids...

One of the youth groupers wrote a blog post that gives a snapshot into some of the inner turmoil of a TCK (Third Culture Kid):

Costa Ricans !!! yeah, lately i've been thinking if i'm really a Costa Rican, how do i look my culture ??? do i love it ???or  i just say..." well, what you gonna do ??" lately i've wonder if i really love my culture or my country ??.... i don't really know, i haven't been in a posicion where i have had to leave my country, and i really don't know how will i react when the moment happens, am i gonna cry ?? while i was abscent, i thought about all of this, and i started to compare the american culture, do i love it ?? and suddenly a big smile on my face !!!!!!!! when i just think about it.... i smile... its something i don't do with Costa Rica... but while i was gone i could marvel with God's creation, seing all the beautiful mountains in the morning, seeing a beautiful waterful, and just looking at all the flowers, the ones i've took pictures... and just looking at the beauty of nature makes me love my country.... But i know that somebody tells me right now, if i want to live in the USA... i would definetly answer YES !!! without thinking about it.... is this a person that appreciates her country ???

One of the things that characterizes a Third Culture Kid is the sense of not belonging. I grew up in Ecuador from 1st to 12th grade, a significantly crucial part of development as a human being. What does this mean to be from Chicago, but also from Ecuador? Confusion. Uncertainty. Where do I belong? What can I think of as 'home'? Is anybody like me? Can anyone relate?

Recently I was contacted by a former Youth Grouper, who was born as an MK in Costa Rica the late 60s. She shares,


 Probably the essence of [the youth group's] impact could be boiled down to me, a TCK (third culture kid), having a place where I belonged, a place where there were others like me. As a teenager to be among Americans in a Latin country is naturally bonding. Take it a step further and put God at the center of it, and you have ministry to a target group that often can struggle with identity (and feel like misfits). I’ve since discovered that while I neither have both feet fully in North American culture, nor totally in Costa Rican culture, I do have one foot planted in each, consequently making a great bridge between the two.

We're pumped at the opportunity to be the Youth Group Directors. What a golden opportunity we get to take advantage of--it's in our weakness that God shows Himself strong. It's in our insecurity that we can trust in Him, and not our friends, jobs, money, or neatly mapped schedules. Would you take a moment right now to pray for the students in the youth group? Just as there is such a great potential for students to turn to God, it's a volatile alternative if they shun Him at this point in life. Pray that He would draw their hearts and work powerfully in their lives. 

Blogpost taken from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me llamo go to the bathroom

Giving Thanks

Pura Vida - We have arrived!