Let us pray

Patrick's first time playing in the snow
I was able to go to Vietnam in 2008 for two weeks with a group from Moody. One of my favorite parts of the trip was the role prayer played. Considering most southern Vietnamese didn't speak English, we would take the opportunity to pray out loud as we walked the streets, ran into challenging situations, and praise God for the work of our Vietnamese brothers and sisters. That trip really conditioned me to take everything and turn it to prayer.


Recently God is growing me again in the area of prayer, and it's been awesome! I started reading a book on Spiritual Disciplines and it used the analogy of a gym: "You can't expect to go to the gym and expect to come out a body builder unless it is something you are constantly working towards." So with God's help, I've been "exercising" myself in prayer. 


It's been really neat to see how prayer is one of God's way on enabling us to join His work. I've found that when I'm praying God will bring specific people or situations to mind for me to pray about-- the list keeps growing. In fact, I find that going from thinking about someone to praying for them is an instantaneous occurrence. It's sweet how God is growing me to this point. Prayer builds faith knowing that I've done all I can when I've prayed about a situation, and God always proves His sovereignty. Pray makes it that much more exciting to hear good news when I've been praying for a situation. It is a privilege and a blessing to get to pray about so many things.




Ephesians 6:18, right after Paul talks about the Armor of God, says "and pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people." Paul then asks them to pray for him. Pray is not listed apart from the Armor, but it is really woven into the theme. While we're engaging the Armor, we're in prayer. 


So "Let is pray, let us pray every moment of the day" as Steven Curtis Chapman sang. And if prayer is challenging, then this is the right time to start.


If you'd like me to pray for you, please email me at maggie.hunter@efca.org. It would be a privilege

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Thanks

Me llamo go to the bathroom

Pura Vida - We have arrived!